Thursday, April 17, 2008

Review - 16000 Steps

I got a request for a review on www.soundclick.com, so I checked out the track and was pleasently surprised with some melodious UK Hiphop! Full review below:

Review of "16000" steps...

Nice hook! The singer, she's got a good voice, though I really don't like that whole RnB warble in her voice when it kicks in. To be honest it's not so bad in the track, I've heard worse, but wanted to mention it anyway.

Beat is really nice, it's almost... too background? At some point I forgot there was a beat, was busy listening to the vocals too much! The drums have a nice sound to them, almost 12bit, enjoy that sound. The swirling pads and higher whistles are chill, really add to the ambiance.

I was thinking there could maybe be some more changeups, shake the sounds up a bit to keep it

I didn't like the rapper at first, but at 2:35, when he does a proper full verse, I got more acquainted with his voice, and it sounded much better to me. Not sure why I disliked him at first, maybe I'm just too used to American accents and got a bit disoriented with a subtle British accent tickling my eardrums.

My only complaint would be that the track felt too short, but that could be because the 3 minutes went by way too quickly. Again, that hook is really nice and I could listen to it over and over and over and... yeah.

The rapper could have dropped another verse at some point, it would have brought the spotlight to him a bit more, but as it stands right now this is a solid track with great vocals, very melodious.

Listen to the track Right Here

No comments: